Friday, September 12, 2008

it's official!

i've been here officially a month! it definitely feels like i've been here longer.. probably because i've done so many things i'm not familiar with.. which is exciting but also very exhausting. in only a month, i've learned to drive on the wrong (by the time i come home i'll think everyone else drives on the wrong side haha) side of the road, put together a classroom, became a first grade teacher!, became an official alien (woohoo!), discovered great food at the grocery store, gotten used to ONE english tv station and ONE english radio station, figured out yen, booked a trip to tokyo, learned my way around okinawa, said farewell to my priceless hair straightner (a very sad day), managed to live by myself and actually enjoy it, experienced amazing japanese food, realized how much i took for granted simple things like a clothes dryer and mirror (mirrors are expensive here!), realized how much i get stared at here (i don't know if i'll ever get used to it.. stop and stare by one republic is our theme song here haha), found out how much attention you get when you're single, gotten use to a small apartment (now i think it's a good size.. what a month can do!), became a pro with keeping in contact with people sixteen hours behind me, and hopefully soon will have experienced my first typhoon.

i already know that this experience will teach me a lot throughout the year. for one, i'm learning to be a very independent person. before japan, i hated doing things by myself. now i'm doing so many things by myself! living by myself, going shopping by myself, even to the beach by myself. it's very invigorating! :) but at the same time, i've been meeting amazing people here to share laughs with and even some tears. God has blessed me with wonderful company and hopefully some lifelong friendships!

one month down.. nine to go! i'm excited to see what the next months have in store.. i started a list but you'll just have to wait and be surprised after i actually do them! :) you're in for a treat with some of them!

love you all and thanks for the prayers and comments! see you in nine months!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, a month! It sounds like you're doing great over there. What an experience!

Katie Shelton said...

I know about those stares! Those two months I was in India and Bangladesh I didn't get use to it.

I'm so proud of you Rachel. It sounds like you are learning and growing in so many ways!