Friday, October 17, 2008

english fun

laura teaches a conversation english class every thursday night for a couple hours and i had the wonderful opportunity to teach it for her last night (her sister-in-law is visiting). i had so much fun! there were four women and two guys (one is a cute old man!). laura informed me beforehand that aigi (the older man) loves to joke around and all of us were laughing the whole entire night! he is hilarious. when we first sat down and i introduced myself, aigi said that he was nervous to talk now because i was so beautiful haha. all of us were joking with him keeping tabs of everytime he said beautiful to me.. "rachel.. you have such a beatiful voice" "rachel.. your little hands are so beautiful" hahaha.. we could not stop laughing at how fascinated he was! when toru, the other guy, was talking about his weekend, aigi told him, "enough about your weekend.. who has another question for rachel??" toru nicknamed me supermodel haha (i had to inform him that supermodels are a lot taller than me haha) and even introduced me like that to his wife after class when we were saying our goodbyes haha... they make me smile :)
during the whole two hours, i didn't even get to the book work that laura left me with. after everyone was introduced, the rest of the time was spent asking me questions. it was funny because i would say something "shocking" to them, and two people came in late, so they would ask the same questions and it was hilarious to see them have the same reaction. their mouths dropped when i told them that i recently turned twenty two. one lady was funny.. her voice got quiet and she goes, "my youngest daughter is older than you." i informed her that her daughter was my brother's age, and it made her feel better haha. they literally gasped when i told them that it took me fifteen hours to drive from oregon to california haha. it makes sense because laura was telling me that when she went on a class fieldtrip that took a forty minute car ride to get there, that is seen as a LONG distance and they actually stopped to get out and stretch, get food, etc.. their forty minute car ride is equivalent to me going to seattle or something.
they were very interested in hearing all about oregon and california. a couple of them have actually traveled to both states, so that was fun to reminisce. they LOVED when i told them all the celebrities i've seen in california. their favorite was meg ryan.. a lot of gasps and hollers. aigi let us know that he named his cat after meg ryan :) we of course also talked about disneyland and tokyo-disney :) we all had a lot of things in common!
they were also very amused that i don't live on the base and shop at japanese grocery stores. they were laughing when i told them i just buy stuff that looks and smells good.. sometimes i have no idea what it is haha.
i also found it very interesting that when they were asking questions, a couple of them asked me about my ancestry.. when i told them that my mom's side is swedish they were all like, "yes yes.. i knew it! i knew you had european in you!"
it was fun getting to know them and they were all so sweet and such great company. the group is going to dinner and a karaoke bar tomorrow with laura, eric, and eric's sister, and they really wanted me to come so i'm excited to hang out with them again! especially at a karaoke bar!!! i'll take pictures and probably some videos too :)

No comments: