Thursday, August 21, 2008

cruising :)

I finally got my car! I felt like an islander driving on the wrong side of the road, acting like I knew where I was going. luckily, I did know where I was going! but funny story… as I pull up to the gas station, I say “regular monton” (meaning fill it up) and the poor guy is trying to tell me something in japanese but of course I can’t understand him. nice soul that he is.. he opens my car door and finds the gas tank knob to open it (smiling the whole time nonetheless). I just give the cute lil naive smile and laugh as I tell him thank you. and then I went grocery shopping.. let me just tell you that once I learn how to properly cook them I’m going to buy the octopus and eel. not that I really need to cook them since I do eat them in sushi. the octopus isn’t even cut up.. reminds me of mexicali :) I swear you can find any kind of meat here. I just need to know japanese so I know what all the stuff is! I didn’t even know what kind of milk to get because I couldn’t find any cartons in english. hopefully I didn’t get whole milk!

I’m going to be completely random now because i forgot to mention this in my last blog. first.. here in okinawa, drinking and driving is not taken lightly. and when I say drinking and driving, I mean having ONE drink and driving. there is a hefty fine and jail time for being caught with .03… luckily there is a service where they will pick you up and take you home AND take your car home too!

also I just wanted to share my observation with you that I think the japanese ladies here are gorgeous and so adorable in their stylish clothes. and they are also very thin which helps me fit in :) but seriously.. sometimes I feel like the bigger person when i’m around some of them. crazy how that works out huh! now I know where to go when I get tired of all the skinny jokes from the states! here it isn’t a rare occurrence, which makes me feel at home :)

1 comment:

Jes said...

hey rachel! it's jes! i just wanted to let you know that i'm so happy you are loving japan so far! we are sad to have becca leave us soon, but it is really encouraging for her to hear about your experiences and how great they have been. know that i am praying for you and can't wait to read more about your teaching!

jes