Wednesday, August 20, 2008

sorry it's been a while

i've only been getting internet at school still, but i really want to update my blog, so i will do it in the little amount of time i have before the morning seminars start today.


it's been fun sight-seeing and becoming familiar with the island. the beaches are gorgeous! the water is the perfect temperature.. i have a feeling i'll be living at the beach this year :) and since this is an island.. i always see the ocean in the distance which just makes my heart smile. the only two problems with the beaches i've noticed is the sand (it's mostly coral sand which is really rough) and the amount of jellyfish in the water. luckily there are places marked with nets so there are safe swimming areas.

i remember telling some of you about the american village (the place with the ferris wheel) and i've been there a few times. i went one time with adrienne and alison (the girls from california) and we ate at a delicious mexican restaurant. there is a huge store called the american depot which, in my opinion, wasn't very american haha. but some of the brands were american and some of the toys reminded me of all the toys in the oregon coast shops. starbucks is EXPENSIVE and i'll probably only have coffee there once or twice haha. some drinks are almost six dollars! there are also a lot of live entertainment at the american village which is very amusing! we watched a band who sang in english and japanese. pictures don't do it justice! it was hilarious and very entertaining. we also watched a man perform a myriad of skills... juggling with fire and a dance with glass balls to name a couple.

i've really enjoyed the food here, which is great! i was scared authentic food wouldn't be as good as american-japanese food, but i'm in love with it. mr. elofson and chikaka (my boss and his wife) took me to sushi and it was delicious! it was the conveyor belt style restaurant which was fun since i've only been to one at home. at this restaurant it wasn't roll style (which i'm obsessed with), but the kind with the fat piece of meat on top of rice. i had some octopus, tuna, and even tried smoked duck! it was soooo delicious! it was weird because the duck had mayo drizzled on top of it (sounds strange but actually quite tasty). charles and chikako took me to a japanese restaurant last night and i had the rainbow roll (SO MUCH BETTER than all the sushi places i've been to in california and oregon.. all of you need to visit just to try the sushi!). green tea is also always served with dinner which i love!

and mom… you would be happy to know that I found some stores that are ten times better than target! i feel like I’m at home :) these stores have a whole grocery section on one floor, and then on the next floor everything else.. electronics, clothes (gorgeous clothes… I’m going to be buying a lot I’m sure!) and accessories (cute purses as well!), and everything else imaginable.

so yeah.. I’ve been having fun and meeting a lot of amazing people. the staff has been very sweet to me and i’ve enjoyed learning more about them over lunches and dinners.

and you are probably curious about my apartment. It is small, but i’m living by myself so it isn’t too bad. i have a rice cooker which is fun to use.. i’m turning japanese! :) it’s funny because i have a washer, but dryers aren’t used here. I have a rope on my balcony to hang my clothes. It rains periodically since this is a tropical climate, so i have to plan accordingly when i need to do laundry. also, all my appliances are in japanese which has been fun to figure out haha.

OH! and mr. elofson was telling me about the television stations (there is only one english station) BUT the station has all the best shows on it! i will be able to watch house, er, law and order, lost, the office, as well as other great shows. the lord has blessed me :)

i think this is enough information about the past week i’ve been here. I’m excited to finally get internet in my apartment so I can video chat with some of you! I miss all your faces :)

.peace and love.


view from my baloncy



ferris wheel at american village


band performing.. nice afro! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay im glad i get to read ur blog...im finally home now so ill b awaiting our first skype convo once u have ur internet all squared away!!! yay i love u!!!